Friday, February 11, 2011

Vendor Interview: An English Rose Part II

And the interview with Rachel continues!




What do you do when you're not wedding planning?
When are we not planning weddings LOL… I like to Ski, although I am not very good yet.. love trying new restaurants and catching up with friends!

What do you think sets you apart from other wedding planners in Montreal?
The British accent really gives it away... I think the mix of my Hotel & Corporate Management experience in HR really helps when dealing with both clients and vendors and knowing how to talk and communicate with people eg the professionalism.... the variety of weddings I have designed and my passion for what I do!

What would be the most important advice you can give to your brides/grooms?
I know it is hard, but you HAVE to make it your day and ensure you have the day you dream off.  Secondly take time out not only to plan your Wedding Day but also to plan your marriage, too may couples focus on one day and then stumble into the rest of their lives.. you really need to discuss where you want to live, children, religion, plans for the future, make sure you are both aligned to the life you want to lead.

What is your favorite color combination?
At the moment I like really neutral colours with hints of ‘Gold’, I think it is very romantic, classy and elegant.  Mind you I do love it when I have couples who really want to be creative and be totally untraditional!  I cannot say too much but my BFF is doing something so untraditional for her wedding I am so excited I could burst!!

What is your favorite item in your emergency kit?
Safety Pins, Super Glue and White Chalk!

What are common mistakes couples make on their wedding day in terms of planning?
Forgetting to include taxes & gratuity into their budget.. this can easily add another 30% to the costs!  Not assigning tasks the wedding party to help with the planning and the day – they are there to work for the couple not to just look pretty & handsome!  Not understanding the impact of ‘correct’ timings throughout the day.
 
What is your favorite wedding trend right now?
I must admit I still like the Cupcakes, Macaroons and Candies.  I love coloured linens and sparkle, and I love designing the Table of Honor completely differently to the rest of the tables.

What is your least favorite wedding trend right now?
Traditional Wedding Food (I eat a lot) eg. Chicken or Fish… and midnight tables with food that no-one really can eat.. I love working on weddings where we change the style and flavors of the food and be much more creative and surprise the guests!

What is one tip you would give to a newbie wedding planner?  Or one who's interested in becoming one?
Think about who your target ‘clients’ are going to be and market your business to that audience and remember it is not just about planning parties and going shopping – you have to also be able to run and manage a business and all that goes with it.  But love it with a passion and you will always be fulfilled!

I know you work with your hubby, what are some of his roles?
Chris works on a lot of behind the scenes research whether it be for new vendors, e-solutions or business planning.  He also does a lot of logistical planning and is very artistic which is very handy on the wedding day when setting up decorations!

Final thoughts
Eat Well, Drink Well and be Happy!


Photos courtesy of An English Rose.
.

No comments: