Monday, February 21, 2011

Vendor Interview: Lottie & Lil - CAKE POPS!

Who doesn't like cake pops?!  I fell in love with these amazing looking cake pops way before I even met Robin, who is the talent behind these yummy treats!  On January 25, I finally had a chance to meet Robin and taste these cake pops myself!  Lottie & Lil sponsored the cake pops for the Jane Dayus Hinch Seminar and everyone loved them!


How many years have you been in the wedding business?
I became a certified wedding planner in 2008 when I was looking for a creative outlet.  I have always loved planning events and coordinating the details to ensure they ran smoothly. Cake pops are a natural extension of my initial business. I’ve been able to design creative tasty treats for weddings, birthdays, anniversaries and showers! I love coming up with a new design that perfectly suits an event and adds that personal touch for the client.

What are your influences?
For weddings and cake pops, I’m influenced mostly by the people. Finding out about them so that their personalities can be seen in the elements of the wedding and in the design of the cake pops. That’s how you avoid the cookie cutter look.

What website or blog do you frequent often?
 I adore Style Me Pretty, so many inspirational weddings and ideas. And of course Bakerella!!  She started the cake pop craze and is a master! I even had a chance to meet Bakerella recently when she visited Toronto.

What is your favorite hobby?
You can probably guess my favorite hobby. Baking!!! But I also love travelling.  I research every destination before I travel, finding the hot spots, unique stores, tours and the history.

What is your favorite food? 
I LOVE Indian, the spicy and the creamy, the naan!  I'm always up to check out the latest Indian restaurant.

What are you reading right now? 
I just started reading the Millennium Trilogy, but I love to read and often have more than one book on the go at a time.

How do you approach creating a design for your couples?
To be able to customize the cake pops to each couple and their event, I try to find out some unique characteristics. It may be as simple as the color of the event, or theme like the fish cake pops for a baby shower. For the character pops, I like to pick a feature to focus on. We recently did 50 character pops for a 50th birthday.  The birthday boy had distinctive glasses and a goatee, so each pop had these features but in chocolateJ The pops were also wearing canary yellow shirts, his favorite color. 

What is your favorite cake pop flavor and icing?
The overall favorite flavor is definitely Coco Loco; a rich, creamy chocolate cake and buttercream icing.  But I would have to say my favorite is Choco Naner! I love the moist banana flavor!! 

What is the coolest cake pop design you've made?
Cake pops are definitely fun and creative, I love how they can be so customized. The first specialized design I did was the foosball pops, so they are extra special to me and the customer was thrilled with them, they were more than she had expected. 

Other than cake pops, what do you love baking the most?
I have loved baking since I was little, cookies, cakes, squares, cupcakes!  What I really love is making unique, creative, beautiful baked goods and displaying them on my many cake stands!

Any tips for those of us who would like to give it a shot at making these cute little party favors?
Cake pops definitely take time and patience, make sure your supplies are laid out and ready before you start.  Also be prepared to have a few duds along the way. They’ll be the tastiest duds you’ve ever had though.

How should the bride and groom store these favors for their wedding?
That’s one of the benefits of cake pops, because the chocolate seals in the moist cake, they can be stored at room temperature and set up early in the day.  They will stay fresh for a few days after the event as well, so enjoy them the next day as you relax after the big event!


Thanks Robin for your great tips!  Can you imagine how much your guests would love these cake pops?  They are great for wedding favours or perfect for the sweets table!  I absolutely love baking and making desserts too.  These will be my next experiment!  I hope they will at least turn out edible haha!


Photos courtesy of Lottie & Lil.
.

No comments: